Frequently asked questions

  • Yes! Your friend will be covered under your auto insurance as long as they have a valid driver’s licence and the other terms and conditions of your policy are met. Keep in mind that if they’re involved in an at-fault accident while driving your car, your premium could go up.

  • To calculate the best insurance premium for you. It helps insurance companies predict possible future insurance claims and the risk they’ll be taking on. There’s a difference between checking credit for a loan and for insurance purposes; having your credit checked for insurance purposes doesn’t affect your score.

  • They’ll respect your decision, but if they can’t access your credit file, the premium they calculate for you might not be the best possible price.

  • People who live in the city generally pay higher auto insurance premiums than those who live in the suburbs, mainly because a lot more can happen in the city.

    Here are some reasons why city drivers pay higher premiums:

    • More traffic
      More stolen vehicles
      More vandalism
  • With no-fault insurance, you’re covered and can receive accident benefits even if you’re 100% at fault, as long as you have Collision and Upset coverage.

    Don’t be fooled by the name! Just because it’s called no-fault insurance, it doesn’t mean you can’t be found at-fault for an accident. What it does mean is that your insurance company will process your claim, no matter who caused the accident.

    Also, if someone rear-ends you, you’ll file your claim with your insurance company, not the at-fault driver’s.

  • Yes, a copy of your insurance certificate is as valid as the original. You can use our Online Services to download and print a copy of your insurance certificate if you need one.

    If you get pulled over by the police, you are allowed to show a black-and-white or colour copy of your insurance certificate. Just make sure it’s easy to read!

  • In Quebec, all drivers need to have Civil Liability Insurance. This coverage protects you if you’re involved in an accident and damage someone else’s property, or if you accidentally injure or kill someone.

    You’re legally required to have at least $50,000 in liability coverage for a private passenger vehicle and at least $500,000 for a recreational vehicle such as a snowmobile or an ATV, but most people get between $1M and $2M in coverage.

    Some coverages are optional, but often required by creditors or lessors when you finance or lease a vehicle. See Choosing the right auto insurance coverage for more details.

  • Not at all. That being said, we’d like to remind you that Quebec’s Highway Safety Code requires you to have winter tires on your car between December 1st and March 15th. If you don’t, you could be fined up to $300.

  • Believe it or not, you have the power to lower your auto insurance premium! Here are a few ways to save at your next renewal:

    • Drive carefully (a clean driving record can make a real difference).
    • Buy your home and auto insurance from the same provider to get a multi-product discount.
    • Choose a vehicle with lower insurance rates. Generally speaking, the older your vehicle is and the fewer bells and whistles it has, the cheaper your premium will be.
    • Increase your Collision and Upset and All Perils Other than Collision or Upset deductibles. The higher your deductible, the lower your premium will be.
    • Consider not getting the Collision and Upset and All Perils Other than Collision or Upset coverages for an older car.
  • By law, you’re required to have auto insurance. If you’re found driving without auto insurance in Canada, you’ll be fined. You’ll also need to pay for any damage you cause to someone else’s property and cover any legal costs if you injure or kill someone.

  • Yes, we can cover up to 2 roommates under the same home insurance policy. But, if you and your spouse are sharing an apartment with another couple, the other couple will have to get their own insurance.

  • If your dishwasher leaks or your washing machine overflows and floods the unit below, you’re legally responsible for any water damage. All renters should get Tenant Insurance including Liability Coverage.

  • To be on the safe side, you should have enough coverage to protect all your belongings, including your:

    • Clothes
    • Furniture
    • Electronics
    • Computers
    • Other valuables (e.g. jewelry, collections)

    People often underestimate the value of their belongings. That’s why it’s important to do a property inventory so you know exactly how much your stuff is worth.

  • One of the best ways to prevent fire is to make sure that all your smoke detectors are working properly and have fresh batteries. In 75% of fatal fires, there were either no smoke detectors on site or the smoke detectors weren’t working properly.

  • It depends. If you’re away at school temporarily and staying in residence or off-campus housing, you’re covered under your parents’ home insurance policy. But, if you’ve moved out of your parents’ place for good, you’ll need to get your own tenant insurance.

  • Here are a few tips to lower your home insurance premium:

    • Install a centrally monitored alarm system.
    • Buy your home and auto insurance from the same insurer to get a multi-product discount.
    • Tell us about any major home improvements that are likely to lower the risk of loss (e.g. new roof or upgrades to the plumbing, electrical or heating systems).
    • Increase your deductible. The higher your deductible, the lower your premium will be. Just make sure you can afford to pay your deductible in the event of a claim.
    • If everyone in your house is a non-smoker, you’ll pay a lower home insurance premium, because there’s less risk of a fire in a smoke-free home.